Be the solution
What Can You Do:
There are endless ways you can reduce, reuse and recycle your food waste – here are few.
- Shop Smart - Most people tend to buy more food than they need -stick to your shopping list.
- Shop the refrigerator before going to the store - Use food at home before buying more. Designate one meal weekly as a "use-it-up" meal.
- Move older food products to the front - and store food correctly. Improper storage leads to a massive amount of food waste.
- Freeze or can surplus fresh produce - Freezing food is one of the easiest ways to preserve it, and the types of food that take well to freezing are endless.
- Understand Expiration Dates -“Sell by” and “expires on” are just two of the many confusing terms companies use on food labels to let consumers know when a product will most likely go bad. If something doesn't look or smell right, then use your best judgment.
- Take restaurant leftovers home - there is no shame in asking for a “take-away” box and you will have lunch ready for the next day.
- Ask for smaller portions at restaurants – it will prevent plate waste and keep you from overeating
- Compost food scraps for use in the garden - Composting leftover food is a beneficial way to reuse food scraps, turning food waste into energy for plants.
- Buy misshapen fruits, vegetables and the single banana - “Ugly” produce has physical imperfections but are not damaged or rotten - “Ugly” fruits and vegetables are safe and nutritious and can sometimes be found at discounted prices.
- Keep track of what you throw away- Manage a waste log to keep an eye on what you're throwing out, so you can prevent doing the same in the future.
- Donate and share nutritious food with your neighbours or through apps (f.x To good to go or Olio )
- Use recycled products when possible - Like VERANDI :)